[Wolves] network connection update

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 12 13:41:50 UTC 2009

Mo Awkati wrote:
>>> I have acquired (given to me :-)  ) and  installed a Belkin desktop
>>> wireless PCI card. It seems OK,  but the signal strength is poor: about
>>> 50% most of the time . The card is wireless G while the router is N. I
>>> think that has something to do with it. There is a distance of only
>>> about 8 feet between the pc and the router, and no obstructions other
>>> than myself!!
>>
>> My parents have one of those Belkin PCI 54G cards, an F5D7001. The
>> reception was awful. I replaced it with a £12 one made by Edimax (it was
>> sold by Efficient PC who sold Linux compatible hardware but have since
>> closed down) and the reception was 90% or so compared to 30% with the
>> Belkin. In my case the router was 54G too, it's the card itself which
>> was poor and under Windows you had to be an administrator to use it,
>> which I thought was stupid.
>
> Ah that explains it. I thought the person that gave it me was using it
> at quite a distance from the router; they also used windows. I will get
> a new one perhaps tomorrow and see what happens.

>If it's working and you can get a stable enough signal to get on the net
>reliably, then I wouldn't worry too much about getting a new one. The
>problem with my parents' one was that with a single plasterboard wall
>between the card and the router, the signal was mediocre at best and
>kept disconnecting. If you have that problem then you'd do better to get
>another card.

>Regards,

>Adam Sweet

The connection speed is almost like dial up!!! I got one from Maplins and ndiswraper loads the driver and I can see the network and speed but can't associate the card with the router???

Spent last couple of nights and this morning but no joy. Looked up ndiswrapper on Ubuntu still no progress. Tried instructions from the site again no joy. I have another problem now see my other post. :-(

Mo