[Wolves] Ubuntu 9.10 install

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 15 18:50:27 UTC 2009

>Mo, sorry I've not responded sooner, it sounds to me like you're getting
>a resolution that can't be displayed.

>Try the following:
>start the cd hit F4, use the "safe graphics mode" option
>next hit f6, press space to select acpi=off noapic and nolapic
>
>That should brute force the driver to vesa at 1024x768 or 800x600

>It should also get around common issues with via chipset and hp machines
>amongst others.

>Also try running the "try ubuntu without any change to your computer"
>rather than the install ubuntu.

>another alternative you can try to get more information is to use the
>rescue mode on the alternate cd.

>Rescue mode basically gives you the ability to use a command line from
>the current installed system or from the cd itself.  The plus here is
>you should be able to get the output of lspci -vvnn which will be useful
>if you need to report a bug on the gfx not functioning.

>The easiest way to do this is mount a usb drive
>"mkdir /mnt/disk"
>"mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk" (where sdb1 is the partition on the drive)
>then run:
>"lspci -vvnn > /mnt/disk/lspci.txt"
>"umount /mnt/disk"

>This will give you a text file you can add to a bug report.

>lspci -vvnn basically rips through the whole system getting as much info
>on each device as it possibly can.

>Report the bug as a regression on the previous version of ubuntu and add
>the file to the report this will help the gfx guys locate the issue more
>easily.

Hi Dave

Tried the safe mode and the acpi=off noapic and nolapic, and that failed. When I have a bit of time at the weekend I will have a go at the CL approach. The 9.4 version loads ok without any issues and other distros load ok, so it must be the 9.10 that is broken.

About Peter's suggestion of the usb drive, I think Santa is getting me one!!! He is so clever to think of these things in advance!!!

Thank you all for your help with this. I will continue to use 9.4 for now so I can get on with my work, and check out future versions when they come out.

If anything changes or I manage to sort I will let you know.

Cheers again

Mo