[Wolves] vista, xp and ubuntu - well I never expected that!

Andrew Lewis andrew at monkeysailor.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 14:18:19 UTC 2009

Fore reasons of insanity, I've just installed Vista and XP onto a
machine that already had Ubuntu on. As expected M$ killed grub, so I
repaired it - but here is the interesting part:

I installed Ubuntu first, then Vista, then XP. This is pretty much the
reverse of what any sane person would do. Installing XP last
overwrites the boot config again, and just repairing grub will make
vista vanish unless you've been clever enough to remember to
hide/unhide partitions from grub (which I wasn't, and so didn't). To
get Vista back, I ran the Vista boot repair from the Vista DVD.

Surprisingly, Vista repaired the Vista boot, automatically detected
and installed an option for the XP boot, and LEFT GRUB INTACT. I have
to say, I never expected _that_ to happen. But I wouldn't want to risk
trying it with Windows 7.

Spline