[Wolves] redditch auctions (arrow auctions - tues 19th) have 6 xerox photocopies

Mark Croft croftyboy at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:51:40 UTC 2009

All computers at the auction have there hard drives removed because of
data protection rules. I have tried to explain that the drives can be
formatted completely with zeros with the right piece of open source
software but just ignored. A lot of people thing they buying a bargain
laptop or pc too find out no hard drive and then get ripped off by
this guy that calls himself an expert from BT but gives them not that
good of a deal from what i have heard.

I guess there been a lot of stories in the press even over the weekend
the bbc was at it again about security fears , maybe i am naive but it
seems a lot of hard work & time to get credit card details off
indivual computers that way.

I heard a rumour that one of the computers that they had at the
auction had lots of adult photos. This is the true reason they go to
such lengths now, i am not completely convinced the hard drives are
smashed/destroyed either. Maybe also licence issues with the windows
os & other software that has been put on them machines(if they have
come from private homes no idea how much of the stuff is illegal
copies)

mark