[Wolves] OT? Open source house alarms

Mike Hingley computa_mike at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:35:09 UTC 2009

Ok - Had a scope around - seems that there are a couple of competing
home automation standards out there - X10 and

There is a Perl project called Mister House - @
http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/  You might be able to use this to
script what happens based on sensor input.

I think there are some issues with X10 in terms of how reliable it is -
but you may be able to glean some more info from
http://www.linuxha.com/athome/index.html#Projects

I'd be interested in your results - particularly if it were something
that the LUG could implement easily.  What do we think? This sort of
investigative project work seems ideal for some collaborative
working...

Other thing to consider is the alarm board running the linux kernel
(naturally).  Could we use something like an arduino for this or
something similar?

 Mike