[Wolves] Microsoft has submitted the code to the Linux kernel

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 25 10:17:55 UTC 2009

Antonio Roberts wrote:
> If this were Slashdot it'd be tagged with 'extendandembrace' and 'itsatrap'
>
> Still, I do wonder what their plan is.
>
> Ant

I think they've made a simple commercial decision that they'd rather
Linux was hosted on their virtual machine than someone else's. Or, more
to the point that someone with 500 Windows virtual machine isn't exposed
to a different, possibly better VM for a couple of Linux instances. It's
still about lock-in.

I've seen a suggestion on the tubes that they were being challenged for
having illegally used GPLed code in the code they are releasing under
the GPL too.

Woo