[Wolves] Is it possible...

Zeth theology at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 12:01:49 UTC 2009

2009/6/23 Octavio Augusto Sánchez Velázquez <netzsooc at gmail.com>:
> Ok, I use Python to process text, specially because ther is this sweet
> pakage called NLTK, which runs on python, With it I can do a lot of
> things, like parsing, tagging, generate grammars, etc... but it delay's
> like .5 seconds to load, even in a cuad processor it would delay
> like .25 secs... that is a lot when you try to run the process over
> 10000 files or so. So I came with the Idea to make some of this stuff
> directly on bash, but first I want to know if it is possible, now that
> you tell me that it could be I think I will try to translate to bash...
> Thank you a lot.

Hello, I use Python to do a lot of textual processing, and I find the
overhead not too much of problem. The key is to profile your software
well with the gdb debugger, pylint and so on so that your software is
as correct as you can make it.

If it is still slow after that, then convert the core calculations of
any bottlenecks into C. However, I find this step mostly unnecessary.