[Wolves] Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 USB devices disabling Eee PC?

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat May 2 22:03:44 UTC 2009

I've been trying Jaunty from a memory stick on my Eee PC 1000.
Everything was good until I tried Cheese which said I didn't have a
webcam. I knew this wasn't true as a) I could see it right above the
screen and b) it worked fine under Eee PC Xandros. A bit of reading
showed that people had been experiencing this problem with XP apps too.
The answer was to enable the webcam in BIOS :-/

It seems that the Eee apps enable the USB devices themselves as needed.
I found on an Eee forum that someone had measured the power consumption
of an unused webcam enabled and disabled in the BIOS and the difference
registered as 1W, though there could be rounding/truncation involved.
Whatever the difference really is, Ubuntu is wasting it. I think I
should report this information to the Ubuntu developers. Can anyone
advise the best way to do that? A bug report doesn't seem appropriate.

Woo