[Wolves] backing up methods

John Rose john.aaron.rose at googlemail.com
Fri May 8 07:13:39 UTC 2009

The disk used on my laptop is approximately 40GB. I want to back it up to a
usb 1TB drive, formatted as FAT32 (which also contains films as they're too
big for my laptop's disk). As I understand it, the max file size on a FAT32
device is 4GB.  I don't see any option in gzip to split large resultant gzip
files. The best option seems to me to be to use Partimage, which allows
resultant split files.

So my thoughts are:
to backup the laptop disk partition (only one partition n the disk) to the
usb drive monthly, using th split files option,
to backup the /home directory to the usb drive monthly and occasional
incremental using Simple Backup,
possibly to separate the /home directory into a separate partition.

Is the above the best way to go?

Regards,
John
07894 211434