[Wolves] backing up methods

John Rose john.aaron.rose at googlemail.com
Fri May 8 19:38:12 UTC 2009

I've now used Simple Backup to do a full backup manually of User Files (i.e.
default directories in Simple Backup's settings: includes /home).I prefer a
manual backup as I switch off PCs at night.  So I thought I'll do that
monthly.

I've used Back In Time to create a full backup of /home (including hidden
files). Back In Time will automatically create an incremental backup on next
run. So I'll do that weekly.

The live usb persistent Ubuntu Jaunty (on a usb stick) will boot up and
allows download of partimage package but partimage (when run as root) says
that the laptop's disk partition 1 (which I want to back up) is mounted,
even though there is no /media entry for it! So perhaps the live usb
persistent Ubuntu uses the laptop's hard disk or it's something else?
Interestingly, Partition Editor has an option to unmount the partitions on
the laptop's hard disk but seems to do nothing with it when invoked. Any
ideas? Perhaps a better way to back up the laptop's system is to simply tar
& zip up all directories on the laptop's hard disk (excluding /mnt, /media,
/proc, /sys, /lost+found)?

Regards,
John
07894 211434