[Wolves] backing up methods

John Rose john.aaron.rose at googlemail.com
Fri May 8 11:55:32 UTC 2009

Kevan,

I don't really need to format the usb disk as ext3 because I only want to
use it for 3 reasons: to store films etc on it (which I also have as DVDs),
to keep monthly backup copies of the full file system (excluding /media
etc), and to keep backup copies of /home (full monthly & incremental
occasional). So ext2 is quite sufficient.

The advantage of FAT32 is that it allowed me to set (in gconf-editor) for
system/storage/default_options/vfat, gid=users (after putting all my users
in Group users and adding a line for gdi= in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-storage-methods.fdi: this then
allows me to write to a memory stick and FAT32 formatted usb drive for any
user irrespective of which user was logged in when the memory stick was
mounted. Obviously, I could do this using Nautilus.

When I now use partition editor to partition/format the usb drive as ext2,
it sets the owner & group as root. This then prevents me (in Nautilus)
creating directories and copying files to it:. So I have to use the CLI
(which I'd prefer not to use) to do these tasks with 'su root'. This then
results in all dirs & files having owner & group as root unless I remember
to cp -p. If I use SimpleBackup, will it write OK to the usb drive?

Partimage is a real pain to get going due to it not being able to copy a
mounted partition. So I tried to run it after booting from a usb stick
containg Live Ubuntu Jaunty. Partimage wasn't an installed package and
'Live' jaunty wouldn't let me download it! So I tried to create persistent
jaunty on the usb stick using Portable Linux (as per Ubuntu Community
documentation): that refuses to work: giving out an error about the usb
stick (see attached file) but it still wrote to the usb stick: so I'll now
try it - if it fails I should still be able to create a persistent ubuntu
alter bringing up Live from another usb stickt! Has anybody had success with
PortableLinux on Jaunty?

Regards,
John
07894 211434