[Wolves] RAD was Re: Introduction

Andy Jewell andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Wed May 13 08:16:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 21:57 +0100, Stephen Parkes wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 21:42 +0100, Mike Hingley wrote:
>

> > But MonoDevelop seens to be quite good...
>
> I looked at MonoDevelop the other day but I can't see how to get
> IronPython to work with it.   I was looking to rapid prototype a gui
> application and it looked like a good way to get a nice cross platform
> app working quickly but I'd rather do it in a language I love rather
> than on I can tolerate :(

Ah! Another Pythonista in our midst.

Of all the languages I've used (that's over 10) I like Python the best -
clean, clear syntax; fast to develop with; code you can read and
understand 5 years after you wrote it; the cleanest oop implementation
I've ever come across; and fast too (if you write "Pythonically")...

I use Python mostly for munging and system maintenance tasks, though
I've written some more complex systems with it, and done a bit of
mod_python+mysql too. Not sure I'd want to use it on .net/mono tho -
it's already cross-platform enough for my purposes - I've used it on
Windows, Linux and AS/400 with great success.

I'm currently having to go through learning Perl - by hacking someone
else's code - and it's sooo painful. Ugly, indecipherable modem
line-noise...

Oops, guess I've started a Python vs. Perl flamewar now.

regards
-andyj