[Wolves] Fwd: [SC.LUG] 3 Strike Petition

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Wed Nov 25 16:18:30 UTC 2009

Peter Cannon wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
>> 2009/11/25 Peter Cannon <dick_turpin at archlinux.us>:
>>> Yet another white noise petition IMO while I agree a three strikes rule
>>> is bad I'm a firm believer in "If you've done nothing wrong you've
>>> nothing to fear"
>>>
>> What if you've done nothing "wrong" (in the eyes of the law) but the
>> record companies think you have? _They_ get to point the finger and
>> claim you're guilty, you get cut off, no trial, no legal process.
>
> Er no Al there is due process if 'in the eyes of the law' you have done
> nothing wrong there is no legal precedent to terminate your Internet
> service.
>
> Record companies have no power to terminate a service and ISP's would be
> silly to terminate purely at the request of them as this would leave
> them open to litigation.

You miss the point that the UK government are considering this bill at
the moment and it allows them to do just that. Ultimately, the law
implies that they don't know how to prove you are pirating without
breaking your door down and taking your PC away or the ISP intercepting
your traffic and then checking whether it's a legitimate download or an
illegal movie. The legal, financial and administrative burden of doing
so for every suspected piracy case is huge, so being accused is enough
in the eyes of this law.

>> Fact is record companies and
>> their agents frequently get it wrong by claiming individuals have
>> breached their copyright when the person in question has valid reasons
>> why this would not be the case.
>>
>> http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7495.cfm
>>
>> "RIAA lawsuit hits family with no computer or Internet access"
>
> Please RIAA is USA they have a history of stupidity and zealousness
> I agree this story is terrible, but I take it it was resolved so I don't
> see the point thats trying to be made other than an initial panic upon
> receipt of the legal action notice.

The RIAA may be in the US, but it's member companies operate in the UK
market and have threatened legal action against UK ISPs, which in turn
is making the ISPs think seriously about cutting users off. Which is why
we get announcements like this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/15/virgin_universal_unlimited/

The idea being that they can impose sanctions on those suspected of piracy.

Don't forget, The Pirate Bay wasn't in the US either.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/