[Wolves] Network connection issue

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 29 09:46:02 UTC 2009

Hi folk

I am having problems getting Ubuntu 9.4 to connect automatically to my router via the wired Ethernet card. The card is a Nvidia card and has always worked well with all Linux distros.

When I check the network connections on the Network Connections options, the Auto eth0 has a greyed out "never" against it and I can't change that even when I go through the 'edit' options.

	* The box for the connect automatically is checked

	*  the IPv4 setting on automatic (DHCP)
	* Available to all users is also checked
	* the only thing not checked is the 802.1X security which is not checked, and that did not make a difference.
in etc/network/interfaces the following lines appear, is this the problem?

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

should this be auto eth0??

Any ideas how I can fix this so that it connects automatically?

many thanks

Mo