[Wolves] Network connection issue

Chris Ellis chris.ellis.intrbiz at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 29 14:42:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi folk
>
> I am having problems getting Ubuntu 9.4 to connect automatically to my
> router via the wired Ethernet card. The card is a Nvidia card and has always
> worked well with all Linux distros.
>
> When I check the network connections on the Network Connections options,
> the Auto eth0 has a greyed out "never" against it and I can't change that
> even when I go through the 'edit' options.
>
>    - The box for the connect automatically is checked
>    -  the IPv4 setting on automatic (DHCP)
>    - Available to all users is also checked
>    - the only thing not checked is the 802.1X security which is not
>    checked, and that did not make a difference.
>
> in etc/network/interfaces the following lines appear, is this the problem?
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> should this be auto eth0??
>

> Any ideas how I can fix this so that it connects automatically?
>

> many thanks
>
> Mo

Hi

 Have you checked that the Link LED of the NIC is lit?

I have two machines with the NVIDIA MCP chipset and the Marvell MAC (One
windows and one Linux) which have this problem.  The problem is usually
experienced when the power cable has been unplugged on the computer or the
switch.  The resolution seems to be as follows:

1) Shutdown the computer
2) Remove power cable
3) Remove ethernet cable
4) Wait 2 minutes
5) Plug in power cable
6) Startup the computer
7) Plug in the power cable - After the computer has fully started, IE the
GUI is visible.

Chris Ellis