[Wolves] Prerequisites for Python TECHNICAL MEETING 18/04/10

Andy Jewell Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 14:34:45 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

If you are planning on attending the Python session, and want to take part in the practicals, please make sure that you have one of the following on your laptop or netbook:

1) A working wifi setup, so we can help you install the Python IDLE environment on the day, or

2) The Python IDLE environment already installed, or

3) Plain, vanilla command-line Python installed (this is already in most distro's). You can check for this by typing "python" in a terminal window. Note that this environment is harder to work with, particularly for beginners!

If you are using a source-based distro like gentoo or slackware, you should probably do the install beforehand! Plus, the more we have to do, the slower it will be to start off...

Obviously, if too many people are installing from online repositories simultaneously, it may make it painful.

I'm going to set up Apache on my laptop so you can get cut and paste code samples, so a working wifi connection will be useful for that too.

Dave - will power be available for those of us with weaker batteries? (I know I'll need power for my part) I can bring a four-gang to help if needed.

See you on the 18th!

Andy D'Arcy Jewell
SysMicro Linux Support

T:  +44 (0) 844 991 8804
M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
F:  +44 (0) 844 357 7020
E:  andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.