[Wolves] PostgreSQL talk

Andy Jewell Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 13:39:46 UTC 2010

Hi Chris,

I'm definitely in. Points I am most interested in below.

If need be i can probably offer a venue (with WiFi, projector) in West Brom (our "Board Room").

Andy D'Arcy Jewell
SysMicro Linux Support

T:  +44 (0) 844 991 8804
M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
F:  +44 (0) 844 357 7020
E:  andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.

 * What is PostgreSQL and why do I love it

 * Performance tuning
     - performance configuration parameters
     - tuning for differing workloads
     - knowing when the planner is better than you
     - query optimisation
     - using EXPLAIN
     - benchmarking
     - statistics, the planner and autovacuum

 * Hardware issues and considerations
     - general tips for good database hardware

 * Replication and clustering
     - asynchronous vs synchronous
     - Slony, DRBD, HAProxy
     - upcoming features in V9.0
     - caveats

* Using PostgreSQL from your application
     - Java
     - Python (Maybe, if Alex would give me a hand)