[Wolves] Suggestions for use of old Linux box

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Sun Jan 3 11:12:25 UTC 2010

2010/1/3 Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk>:
> This then raises the second question: Which is the best distro to use on it
> to act as a server given the spec I mentioned?

With that much memory anything should run fine, as long as you don't
install X Windows, and purists would argue that a server should't have
a GUI.

Treat it as an opportunity to learn. You're using SuSE, how familiar
with the command line versions of yast, rpm/zypper(?) are you? If you
already know SuSE well, try your hand at Debian and dpkg/apt-get. If
you're up for a challenge try Gentoo, or Linux From Scratch - though
compiling everything will take quite a while. You could even go
entirely off the reservation and try BSD Unix.

Alex
--
Alex Willmer <alex at moreati.org.uk>
http://moreati.org.uk/blog