[Wolves] Suggestions for use of old Linux box

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 3 13:53:09 UTC 2010

> > > How about a UPnP media server to serve music and video to PS3 or XBlock?
> > > Claire  Well, my first thought would be a Smoothie box... :-)  Possibly a
> > > file
> > server? DM
> >
> > Both suggestions sound interesting. I will explore. I suppose it could also
> > double up as a print server??
> >
> > Mo
> >
> > You could turn it into a router come torrent box come media server 24 7 thing,
> > that is if you can justify the use (and niccard and storage considered). you
> > >could use it as a test box, although the hardware is old, it means its well
> > supported by the linux kernel. If you cant find a use for it your self
> > freegle/cycle it, >so that someone else could, as I doubt there is little cash
> > value as is, good luck and let us know your choice.
>
> > The reason I ask to be informed is that I recently saw a 3 part series on bbc
> > called Digital Dreams, that made me change my view on technology and it's
> > >influence on the family members around the home...This spoke about the ever
> > increasing amount of computers we have.
>

> > Best regards,
>
> > Roundyz
>
> I totally agree, I don't like to waste things like that, if I can find a use for
> it I will keep it because it is in good condition all round. I think a
> print/file/media server is the likely use. This then raises the second question:
> Which is the best distro to use on it to act as a server given the spec I
> mentioned?
>

> Mo
>

>Mo,
>This depends on your ability to setup and configure linux, and the time you wish to spend doing so.

>I myself would use something like arch or gentoo (you can do binary file installs through portage too), to get the most from it (I use gentoo) but recently I >have been very impressed with fedora. Do remember that most of the server software is the same across distributions, just use good stable versions of the >services you wish to use.

>A little tip too that I have been practicing recently, is to include a copy of tinycorelinux (its all in one file) on your boot partition as a backup distro, this >saves using a live disc or usb thumb drive to fix any issues that might prevent you booting beyond the loader.

>good luck again.

>regards,
>Roundyz

I am using Fedora on my own PC at the moment and will try that to start with. As Alex said it is an opportunity to learn and that is how I will treat it. I have used the CL before to install software from sources as well as rpms etc, but I would not class myself as an advanced user, perhaps this is the time!! I will load Fedora's cd and see what happens (its a live cd) and take it from there. The tip about tinycorelinux is interesting.

Cheers

Mo