[Wolves] Dick's Tips (Tbird + Ubuntu)

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Tue Jan 12 12:14:59 UTC 2010

Dave Morley wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 11:15 +0000, Adam Sweet wrote:
>> netzsooc at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I have not yet installed Karmic (being lazy), but wouldn't it work as
>>> well just with evolution better than with TB?
>> There may be ways of doing it with Evolution, but I haven't tried them.
>> However the major flaw in your plan is that Evolution is bollocks ;)
>>
>> As it happens, I didn't like Lightning+Provider for Google either, it
>> looked terrible and was buggy, but it was about 2 and a half years ago
>> so maybe things are better now. I might give it another try.
>>
>> As you appear to be a Spanish speaker (Octavio?) and might not be
>> familiar with British slang:
>
> Actually it works out of the box with evolution :P

Google Calendar? Cool.

> And you know what It's not as bad as you all make out either.
>
> I find it no slower than any of the list that Pete mentioned

I didn't find it slow, I just found it annoying in approximately 12 ways
from half an hour of use. I made a list to show Jono after the LugRadio
segment in S5. I found it put mail in weird places, duplicated mails,
gave no sending feedback, wasted screen real estate and all sorts of
other things, I can find my list of irritations if you want, but it
wasn't anywhere near complete ;)

Also the IMAP support was really poor. I think it corrupted Jono's
mailbox more than once and he finally jumped ship to Thunderbird. I
might be wrong though.

 > oh and
 > really why would every gnome desktop still use it if it was so crap ;)

Because Thunderbird isn't a Gnome app, Evolution was Gnome's great white
hope of capturing the Outlook market and Thunderbird doesn't have the
groupware functions that Evolution has out of the box.

You might argue that the precedent was set for using non-Gnome apps on
Gnome, with the inclusion of Firefox as the default browser on pretty
much any Gnome based desktop distro and OpenOffice.org, but I'd say they
were exceptions based on user expectations and lack of a viable
alternative (ie Gnome Office and Epiphany don't stand up to
OpenOffice.org and Firefox).

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--