[Wolves] Vacancy - Junior PHP Developer

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Mon Jan 18 14:29:39 UTC 2010

roundyz at hotmail.ru wrote:

> I'm not too sure on the php salery for a junior developer, but either
> way that wage is low for any developer, language aside. You could
> just as well change the word "junior" for "graduate" to justify the crap
> wage. If they can only allocate 15 grand a year for this position, they
> should perhaps look at employing a seasoned developer part time, I'm
> sure productivity and experience would be increased.

To be honest I've been following Linux/OSS jobs for over a year now, it seems
standard practice to;

1. Offer an appalling low wage.
2. Ask for skills in as many disciplines and areas as possible.

As an example I've seen jobs where a Mysql developer was required however the
criteria asked for stuff like Perl and Ruby on rails I get the feeling certain
employers want someone to actually look after 'A' but they know those people are
expensive so offer jobs looking after 'B' with the mention of 'A' in the job
requirements so they can get someone on the cheap.

I'm not saying this is the case in this particular instance just my observations.