[Wolves] Best way to remote manage a ubuntu system

Kris Douglas krisdouglas at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 13:06:10 UTC 2010

On 22 January 2010 15:31, Parminder Chauhan <parminder at balpreet.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for their inputs. First of all sorry to answer late. I know it is not nice "not to acknowledge the help" provided by helping hand. I am late to answer as I was away from my computer for many days.
>
> I definitely liked the Idea of remote desktop with Ubuntu. I'll play around it and have a go.
>
> Regarding IP address I have installed a small desklet on all ubuntu machines which gives the current IP address of router. I can just ask on phone what is coming up.
>
> My only question may be how to locate the machine connected to router. It will have different IP address with 192.168.*.*  Any way I'll play first before ask further questions.
>
> Thanks again everyone for  help. I'll also try through empathy as well but remote desktop is straight forward.

Good luck, the best way to differentiate between different machines
behind a router is to say forward the port 5901 to 192.168.1.4 then
5902 to 1.5 etc... Basically just having a unique port for the
different machines. I think you can set the port in Ubuntu's remote
desktop GUI, as for port forwarding, http://portforward.com

Empathy may be your best solution though :)

HTH,
   Kris Douglas