[Wolves] New to Linux advice appreciated

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 10:11:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 10:47 +0100, Ron Wellsted wrote:

> On 25/07/10 19:32, Daryl wrote:
> >  Hi All,
> >
> > I'm new to Linux and would appreciate loads of help to become proficient
> > (on-line or meeting up with people would be great).
> >
> > To start with I have installed a lubuntu distro on my old 333MHz 10Gb
> > HDD computer.
> >
> > For the future:
> >
> > I would like to move onto BackTrack 4 on a laptop to test my home
> > network and friends.
> >
> > And eventually have a home server running with the possibility of a web
> > server running too.
> >
> > (Big ambitions I know - but reach for the Sky as they say)
>
> Hi Daryl,
>
> Welcome to the list & Wolves LUG.
>
> Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and we will try to
> answer them.
>
> You will probably find that all the applications that are included in
> BackTrack for penetration testing are actually available on the other
> distributions, such as Ubuntu.
>
> A home server is a very good move, the important thing to remember is
> that as a server it needs to be available 24/7 so reliability is an
> important factor.
>
> Hope to see you at a meeting sometime soon.

Welcome to the Lug.

If your in wolves possibly the best way to get the info you need is to
ask here on the list.  For more indepth or involved questions if you can
make it to the meeting that is probably best for those instances.

If you're coming to a meeting and you have an issue with a laptop bring
it with you and we might be able to resolve it there and then for you.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk