[Wolves] Icinga (Nagios)

Andy Jewell Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Fri May 14 11:40:28 UTC 2010

Pete, Nagios/Icinga is still worth a look.

Yes, you do need to have the firewall open on the other end. Your firewall ought (!) to notice that the incoming packets came in as a result of a connection at your end, so you shouldn't need to configure that.

The port you need open for nrpe is 5666 unless you set it as something else.

I'm guessing here, but Icinga probably uses the same agent (nrpe) as nagios.

If you install the nrpe package on your system, you just have to edit /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg (or wherever your distro puts it - that's the default on RH/CentOS). Right at the end should be a load of examples, commented out. You also need to change the "allowed_hosts" param  near the top, but you can probably leave the rest at default.

You can run nrpe as a service in its own right or via (x)inetd, whichever is easiest.

One tip: you can more easily check if its working by running checks manually from the command line on your monitoring box:

# locate check_nrpe
/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe
# /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H www.example.com -c check_total_procs
PROCS OK: 105 processes

Once you've got it going, you might like to try out check_mk, which is an add-on to Nagios (probably works with icinga too) that makes it a LOT easier to use, and provides nicer graphs via RRDTool and PNP.

Hope that helps.

Andy D'Arcy Jewell
SysMicro Linux Support

T:  +44 (0) 844 991 8804
M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
F:  +44 (0) 844 357 7020
E:  andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.