[Wolves] Icinga (Nagios)

Andy Jewell Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Fri May 14 12:26:54 UTC 2010

From: wolves-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk [wolves-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Peter Cannon [dick_turpin at archlinux.us]
Sent: 14 May 2010 12:59
To: wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Wolves] Icinga (Nagios)

On 14/05/10 12:40, Andy Jewell wrote:
> Pete, Nagios/Icinga is still worth a look.
>
> Yes, you do need to have the firewall open on the other end. Your firewall ought (!) to notice that the incoming packets came in as a result of a connection at your end, so you shouldn't need to configure that.
>
> The port you need open for nrpe is 5666 unless you set it as something else.
>
> I'm guessing here, but Icinga probably uses the same agent (nrpe) as nagios.
>
> If you install the nrpe package on your system, you just have to edit /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg (or wherever your distro puts it - that's the default on RH/CentOS). Right at the end should be a load of examples, commented out. You also need to change the "allowed_hosts" param  near the top, but you can probably leave the rest at default.
>
> You can run nrpe as a service in its own right or via (x)inetd, whichever is easiest.
>
> One tip: you can more easily check if its working by running checks manually from the command line on your monitoring box:
>
> # locate check_nrpe
> /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe
> # /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H www.example.com -c check_total_procs
> PROCS OK: 105 processes
>
> Once you've got it going, you might like to try out check_mk, which is an add-on to Nagios (probably works with icinga too) that makes it a LOT easier to use, and provides nicer graphs via RRDTool and PNP.
>
> Hope that helps.

|It does actually, in an explanation sort of way. I have no control over
|our firewall here which is a real bummer.
|
|check_mk? Hm sounds fun, I've installed the Nagios plugins is it part of
|that or do I need to look somewhere?

|Wolves LUG mailing list
|Homepage: http://www.wolveslug.org.uk/

It's a separate project: http://mathias-kettner.de/check_mk.html

Andy D'Arcy Jewell
SysMicro Linux Support

T:  +44 (0) 844 991 8804
M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
F:  +44 (0) 844 357 7020
E:  andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.