[Wolves] Icinga (Nagios)

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Fri May 14 13:52:52 UTC 2010

On 14/05/10 11:34, Simon Fielding wrote:
> Have you
> looked at opennms? It's main advantage is that you can tell it to search
> for services dynamically instead of manually configuring everything as
> in Nagios/Icinga which is why I went with it rather than Nagios

Having looked at Nagio myself in the past and never got far because I
don't have time for it to become my day job, I decided to try openNMS.

It installed well (I had some issues on my old Ubuntu 8.04 install but
Google got me past them) and it quickly found all my servers once I gave
it a hint as to where to look.

But: Now what? I don't see how to (for example) say "this is a web
server, here's a list of virtual hosts on it, monitor them". Or "this is
an email server, make sure it accepts mail". How do I go beyond ping tests?

Registered in England (0456 0902) @ 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG