[Wolves] Ubuntu CDs - Init not found

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 18:08:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 18:54 +0100, Claire wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Its not very often I post here but I've hit a dead end trying to install
> Ubuntu. I usually use Mandriva but fancied something different.
>
> I bought a second hand Dell desktop which has XP installed on it, which
> I'd like to hang on to if possible. Its useful to have a proper XP still
> sometimes.
>
> It will boot Mint 9 live cd without any problems so Im at a loss why Im
> getting this error with Ubuntu. I've tried the 10.10 beta and 10.04.1
> and get the same thing.
>
> The error is that it sits chuntering for a while then bombs out with 'no
> init found' saying to add it as a boot argument. It drops to an
> initramfs prompt and ash console.
>
> I can get to the boot menu, by pressing a key when the funny icons
> appear at the bottom of the screen, and set keyboard map and language
> and etc.. but when I try either to boot the live cd or straight install
> it fails.
>
> I've read that this could be down to a problem with the ntfs partition
> so have run 'chkdsk /f' a few times in XP but it hasn't made any difference.
>
> I've looked in GParted and there is a 40 odd mb FAT16 partition Dell
> Utility, the NTFS XP partition which I have managed to resize and then a
> 2.2GB Dell partition Im assuming is the restore data.
>
> Im considering wiping the disk and starting again but having spent 3
> days trying to bring XP up to date I'd rather not!
>
> I know there are some brains here better than mine, has anybody got any
> ideas?
>
> Thankyou
> Claire

If you only want to try out Ubuntu rather than have it as your main
desktop for now you might be better off using WUBI.

Basically fire up XP drop the cd in this will bring up a menu click on
install inside windows.  This will setup a virtual HD and install to
that drive.  This can then be deleted like any windows app.

The advantage being you don't need to mess about with the xp partition
at all.

The only thing I can think off is to try see if dell have installed
something in read only mode to the first sector of the hd.  Also try
running the CD checker to ensure it's not a bad burn (It's doubtful but
just something to try)

One other alternative would be to try the alternate cd instead of the
live cd and see if that can install.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk