[Wolves] Passwords

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 12:35:30 UTC 2011

I've used a gpg encrypted text file (which could be in e.g. drop box). You can set vim (everyone's favourite editor) up to prompt you for the passphrase when you go to read it, and so on....

so, I just have to do :

vim ~/doc/passwords.asc
<<enter password when prompted>>
<<file opens up in vim as plain text>>

Try putting the following into your .vimrc, assuming you're already setup to use gpg, and have a .asc file already. :

" use GnuPG to open a .gpg file
augroup gpg
au!
au BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.gpg set viminfo=
au BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.gpg set noswapfile
au BufReadPost *.gpg :%!gpg -q -d
au BufReadPost *.gpg | redraw
au BufWritePre *.gpg :%!gpg --default-recipient-self -q -e -a
au BufWritePost *.gpg u
au VimLeave *.gpg :!clear
augroup END

The above is only of any use for an individual's passwords, as it doesn't really promote sharing etc. So for work we just use a web app which has restricted access and some trivial obfuscation in place. To access that you need a username/password and access to our local LAN.

David.