[Wolves] Open router firmware

Richard Barker richard.barker at quietwatercourse.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 21:19:23 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while now, making the odd post.  I've
recently returned to Linux after a misadventure with Windows 7 and am
happily engrossed in OpenSUSE 11.4 right now.

I have been pondering the idea of using a free software firmware on my
router, in the hope of getting a performance / feature boost.  I like
the idea of a small OpenVPN / low volume webserver, so I've been looking
at OpenWRT, although I am aware that there are other options.

My current TP-LINK router doesn't support OpenWRT, so I have been
looking at a Netgear WNDR3700 as it supports USB devices for extra
storage, or for a print server.

So I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with OpenWRT or a
related project, and if I could get an opinion on how well it works please?

Cheers,

Rich.