[Wolves] Open router firmware

Richard Barker richard.barker at quietwatercourse.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 05:27:57 UTC 2011

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for that info, it sounds like I definitely have a new project! :-)

Cheers,
Rich.

On 2 Aug 2011 21:59, "Stephen Welch" <bigfishinnet at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Richard, can't really help you with tech details

On 2 August 2011 22:19, Richard Barker

<richard.barker at quietwatercourse.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been lurking here for a while...
Ugh.  I don't like OpenSUSE you need a small Cray to run it.

I have been pondering the idea of using a free software firmware on my
> router, in the hope of ge...
My brother install OpenWRT on a linksys cable router for me.  It
turned it into a wireless bridge / WAP.

Useful for keeping servers in the garage but hooking them up to my
network so I can access them remotely without overcrowding the
kitchen!

The router was a linksys device I cant remember what model - I still
use it today - I think it was done 5 yrs ago.

If you can get it working its great (admission I gave up and asked my
brother).

In fact a bit of google turned up
http://nicolas314.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/tomato-vs-openwrt/

And yes it was a WRT54G-type!  From memory the original device
suffered from over heating which is why nearly all linksys devices are
designed to be vertical....  With OpenWRT no issues although it is
just a WDS wireless device now.

Stephen