[Wolves] VoIP phones and SIP providers

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Thu Feb 3 15:28:11 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> Hi everyone

Hi,

> As we have a few Asterisk users, I thought I'd take advantage of the
> knowledge we have here. I'm looking for some recommendations on SIP
> providers. I have used Sipgate in the past but for some reason I have
> it
> in my head that they only allow one concurrent call and the only
> geographic numbers they offer are ones in your dialling code area.

> The end game is that I'd like a to be able to point a couple of
> numbers
> at an Asterisk box over SIP, some non-geographic, some geographic but
> not necessarily 01902, with the potential to migrate the numbers to
> another provider if need be. Who would you recommend?

Most providers including what folks have already mentioned; Gradwell,
VoIPTalk, Telappliant should all allow your to port numbers in or
out. Don't go with a SIP provider that doesn't do this or doesn't offer
999 calls (legal requirement now).

For peice of mind look at:

http://www.itspa.org.uk/members.html

Your best option is to go with someone that fits your requirements/budget
and also has the ITSPA Quality Mark:

http://www.itspa.org.uk/quality.html

There's lots of rules to get the mark, so puts your mind at rest.

> Also I'm looking for a couple of SIP phones, free or cheap/second-hand
> is good :) I played with some generic no-name ones in the past and
> they
> were awful. I've used a couple of Snoms which were very good, albeit
> expensive and a cheap Aastra which was perfectly serviceable. I've not
> used Cisco, Polycom, Grandstream or Linksys so advice on what is
> good/bad would be helpful too.

You can't go wrong with Yealink for "best bang for buck" - www.yealink.co.uk

Their phones have all the same feature set but just bigger screens and more
lines. They all include OpenVPN too. Snom are also good.

Gavin.

P.S. We run SureVoIP - http://www.surevoip.co.uk/about

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
Managing Director.

T +44 (0) 1224 279484
M +44 (0) 7930 323266
F +44 (0) 1224 824887
E ghenry at suretecsystems.com

Open Source. Open Solutions(tm).

http://www.suretecsystems.com/

Suretec Systems is a limited company registered in Scotland. Registered
number: SC258005. Registered office: 24 Cormack Park, Rothienorman, Inverurie,
Aberdeenshire, AB51 8GL.

Subject to disclaimer at http://www.suretecgroup.com/disclaimer.html