[Wolves] Help installing Glib 2.31.16 on Ubuntu 11.10

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Sat Mar 3 23:07:54 UTC 2012

On 03/03/12 21:29, Daryl Townsend wrote:

>>> I tried that but got this error:
>>>
>>> Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading
>>> state information... Done E: Unable to locate package glib-dev
>>>

>> Try :
>
>> apt-cache search glib | grep dev
>
>> That should list at least one matching package :)
>

> I think the problem is with libiconv I gconvert.c:65:2: error:
>
> #error GNU libiconv not in use but included iconv.h is from
> libiconvget this error:

I think you've missed the point, which is that people are trying to
tell you that there shouldn't be any need for you to compile glib as
it's already installed, you should just need to install glib-dev
(which are the glib libraries for other applications to build against)
and then you should be able to build the other software you want.

You can find a list of packages which contain both the words glib and
dev in the name with the command Dave Goodwin gave you above, but as
it happens, now we actually know why you want to this stuff, it looks
to like there's no need for you to compile anything at all. Try the
following commands:

sudo apt-get update
apt-cache search gpsim gputils
sudo apt-get install gpsim gputils

You only really need the first and third commands. The first one gets
the latest list of available software packages, the second searches
the package list for gpsim and gputils (which obviously isn't
necessary if you already know the name of what you want to install and
whether it's in the repositories) and the third installs gpsim and
gputils.

The days where you need to manually compile everything yourself and
work out the run-time software dependencies for each are long gone.
These days you only need to do that if the version provided by your
Linux distribution has bugs, or you need a specific version which your
distribution don't provide, or you're a software developer.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

- --