[Wolves] New Desktop

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 13:57:54 UTC 2012

On 19 March 2012 13:07, John Rose <john.aaron.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your replies. I decided to go with ebuyer's ZooStorm desktop
> (at £230) because I'm a cheapskate.
>
> As I said before, I want to stick with Ubuntu or similar preferably with
> Gnome2 but definitely without Gnome3 or Unity. What are the pros &cons
> between Linux Mint 12 and Ubuntu (e.g. Lucid and reverting to Gnome2
> when Precise is released)? If I go with Ubuntu, should I use 32 bit or
> 64 bit (on a dual core machine)?

I can't comment much about Mint but I have tried 11.  This past
weekend in fact :-)  It was very brief but very satisfying.  I had a
broken Windows machine (It had choked because it was too full... well,
it is on a 20gb drive).  Anyway, I just gave Mint 11 a quick twirl to
clean some space on this small drive and it performed lovely.  No
messing, no hit or miss which I have had with Ubuntu in the past and I
should add I don't like Ubuntu now with the new and for me broken
Unity desktop (it will not work on my PC and I can't seem to fix it).
It also found my Windows machines on the home network with a lot less
hassle than other Windows PC's have done.  That includes Win 7 and XP.
 I may install it on the PC that had the problem.

Kevan
Linux user #373362
Staffordshire