[Wolves] Silly Centos 5, Apache 2.2 question

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 09:53:25 UTC 2013

On 23 Jul 2013, at 10:50, Simon Burke <simonb at fatsportsman.eu> wrote:

> Ok,
>
> So for some reason I seem unable to disable directory browsing on our webserver.
>
> Which seems ridiculous, however simply setting -Indexes in the options of the httpd.conf and the vhost config files and then either running a reload or restart on apache.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction of what the smeg is going on?

Hi,

1. Make sure apache is actually stopping before starting it - I've seen instances where it keeps running.
2. Make sure the running Apache is actually the one for which the config belongs - some devs do weird installs with /usr/local/apache (often plesk) and the system/proper Apache. netstat --tcp -lpn should give you an idea as to which Apache is running/talking to you.
3. I guess .htaccess files may be able to turn +Indexes on (I'm not sure off the top of my head).

David.