[Wolves] dlna streaming

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 12:17:04 UTC 2014

A while back I had my A/V receiver playing media from Rygel DLNA server.
Although Rygel worked as it should, the receiver's UI turned out to be
very awkward to use,

Rygel can also operate as an ALSA sink, streaming audio from arbitrary
applications (e.g. Rhythmbox) to a DLNA media renderer. In the version I
tried (a few years ago now) this was a little unreliable and fiddly to
set up - hopefully improved by now.

Hope this is of some interest as another option, although these days I
tend to play media from a PC connected over HDMI instead. Should really
get the Raspberry Pi up and running at some point! For more info see:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Rygel

Not to be confused with...

http://farscape.wikia.com/wiki/Rygel_XVI

Regards,