[Wolves] advice on version of Linux to install

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Tue Jan 7 12:16:03 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: Dave Morley <davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk>

> I'm with Andy here.  If you use Ubuntu daily and like it most of the
>(deb) based stuff is covered, cli is almost identical to that of debians
>and others.  However if you go for the more advanced lpic stuff, then I
>would start using Ubuntu as a base for knowledge because you are used to
>it and then add a vm and in the vm install centos (RHEL free clone) and
>pure debian.  Debian itself is the most used server os next is Ubuntu
>and following on shortly behind that is RHEL and Centos so that should
>cover you nicely.

Citation needed :)

Seriously, I'd be interested in seeing your source for Ubuntu being more used on servers then RHEL/Centos thats really not my experience at all.  But then I have the opposite bias to you Dave :)

(for those who don't know: Dave works for Cannonical the company behind Ubuntu, I work for Red Hat)

I would certainly say that RHEL completely dominates the big "enterprise" (thousands of server) deployments , and (with Centos) a large majority of the smaller business (hundreds of server) deployments as well. So I would say if you're looking to become a professional linux sysadmin you're better off using Centos (or RHEL if you're willing to pay :)  on the server and Fedora on the desktop and playing with ubuntu in a VM.

chris