[Wolves] Electromagnetic Field 2014: Call for Participation

Jonty Wareing jonty.emf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 20:54:14 UTC 2014

Hello!

Electromagnetic Field (EMF) is a volunteer-run non-profit maker/hacker
camping festival in the UK. We held our first event in 2012, and this year
we're back and bigger than ever: a camping festival with over 1200 people
of all ages, just outside Milton Keynes for a long weekend between the 29th
and 31st of August.

We run this event to promote people making and learning things across as
many disciplines as possible. We'll take over a large field, roll out power
and internet to every tent, and put on talks and workshops for three days.

If you'd like a better idea of what that looks like, our website might help:
https://www.emfcamp.org/about

Our Call For Participation is open: we're looking for people to talk or
give workshops. At previous events, we've had a huge variety of talks on
everything from genetic modification to electronics, blacksmithing to
high-energy physics, reverse engineering to lock picking, computer security
to crocheting, and quadcopters to brewing. If you'd like to talk, we'll try
and fit you in.

We're especially keen to receive proposals from people outside the normal
tech conference circuit (we welcome imposters!). If you need some
inspiration, take a look at the list of talks from 2012:
https://www.emfcamp.org/talks/2012

If you'd like to submit a talk, simply fill in this short form:
https://www.emfcamp.org/cfp

We're also looking for groups to run villages: camps within EMF where
like-minded people can camp together and host activities for other members.
Previous villages have been anything from retro-gaming to lockpicking,
chillout areas, and a full workshop complete with laser cutter! Some groups
just camp together so interested people can find them, some organise a
village around a topic of interest and allow anyone to join them.

If you'd like to register a village there's more information here:
https://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/Villages

We're also looking for people to build installations and art around the
site. We have a limited budget available to help fund these projects, and
you can find the application form on the call for participation page.
Previous years have seen anything from ride-on tanks to floating LED
screens and gigantic metal letters spelling out the event name! We'll
consider anything interesting, so don't hesitate to get in touch if you
would like to contribute.

Last but not least: EMF is an entirely volunteer-run event and takes a vast
amount of time to organise. We need volunteers to help out in a variety of
roles before, during, and after the event. If you'd like to get involved,
email volunteer at emfcamp.org.

If you would like promotional posters, flyers and stickers to display in
your hackspace or give out at a meeting, email your address to
contact at emfcamp.org and we'll post them out as soon as possible!

You can find out more about EMF 2014 on our website:
https://www.emfcamp.org

You may also be interested in the BBC coverage of the event in 2012:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19441861

Tickets are available from http://www.emfcamp.org/tickets, hope to see you
in the field!

Thanks,