[Wolves] dd usage?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 20:33:04 UTC 2014

Thank you, Chris :)  Can you expand a little on the block size option
please?  I know I should really have got a grasp on all of this years
ago....  I didn't, I admit that I was led by the nose in using Windows
and the various GUI environments in Linux.  I still use a GUI
(currently Cinnamon in Linux Mint 15 and 16 on separate netbook and
laptop and Mate in Fedora 19) but I am slowly really starting to enjoy
the cli.

By the way, my upgrade of Fedora 19 to 20 failed :(  I know the reason
why though as it's a documented item in Bugzilla.  I also know the fix
which is even better.  All this again through the cli.

Cheers.

On 4 June 2014 16:06, Chris Ellis <chris at intrbiz.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to clone a system (Fedora 20 if it upgrades successfully
>> from 19) and put the lot onto a larger hdd.  I think the command I
>> want is
>>
>> dd if=sda1 of=sdb1
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kevan
>

> You have the basics correct:
>
> if = input file
> of = output file
>
> Usually, it is worth setting the block size (bs), this can speed things up
> (or slow things down).
>
> If your going to mirror the whole drive, your should use:
>
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
>
> That would mirror the partition table, MBR, etc as well
>
> I tend to use, for this kind of thing:
>
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1m
>
> Then you can grow the partition using what ever tool you like.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

Kevan
Linux user #373362