[Wolves] bash Vulnerability

Chris Ellis chris at intrbiz.com
Thu Sep 25 08:05:54 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 8:57 AM, John Rose <john.aaron.rose at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Not vulnerable on up to date Ubuntu 14.04.

Sadly, that statement is now incorrect.  Patches for  CVE-2014-6271 were
pushed by
most distros yesterday evening.  However it has now been discovered that
the patch
is incomplete and CVE-2014-7169 has been issued to over that.  So there
will be
another update released soon.

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1200223

Regards,
> John
>
> On 25/09/14 08:55, Ron Wellsted wrote:
>
> In case you have been off the net for the past 24 hours, there is a
> vulnerability which allows a specially crafted shell script to run
> arbitrary code, so it is time to update your systems.
>
> To test if your version of bash is vulnerable to this issue, please run
> the following line of bash script (I promise this only tests for the
> vulnerability !):
>
> env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable'  bash -c "echo this is a test"
>

> Regards,
Chris