[Wolves] Wifi Access Control - not php

Wayne Morris waynelists at machx.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 08:45:27 UTC 2015

Hi,
As anyone got any suggestions for creating my own version of 'the cloud'
wifi control, preferably with cheap or free software.
Basically the company I work for has a load of student houses, each with
a Virgin wifi box - we currently manually change the wifi password every
month,
then charge one tenant a fee, who then passes on the code to all and
sundry, so we only ever get one fee.
Since the maximum revenue from a house even if all pay is < cost of
virgin box, can't afford to use The Cloud or anything like (Cloud I
think is £130 a month)

Ideally would like something that sits on a centralised server, and
grants access for periods regardless of which box is being used.
Would something like this be done by setting the dns of the Virgin box
to the server, then running a log in script which then allows dns searches?
Prob I foresee with this is that if a user sets his network card up to
use his own dns servers, then he defeats the object.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Wayne