[Wolves] Secondary School Work Experience students

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Mon Feb 23 12:39:08 UTC 2015

We're getting quite a lot of enquiries from secondary school work
experience students after we helped out a student last year whose
placement had fallen through at the last minute.

Consequently we're now on the placements database and we're getting a
lot of enquiries as there aren't many IT companies in Wolverhampton.

Do any of you lot work for companies that can take work experience
students? I can either put you in touch with the placements team or
refer students to you. Due to the nature of our customers, we can't have
these students do any work for us, we just hot house them in Linux and
Open Source for a week but we don't have the time or resources to handle
many.

I quite like the idea of helping these students as employability skills
is a big problem these days. A lot of people just don't know how to go
about finding and going to work. It's also a nice opportunity to educate
them that Linux and Open Source exists and is a viable alternative to
Windows. As it turns out, most of them seem to have used a Raspberry Pi
running Linux at school.

Note that anyone who agrees to take students gets visited by the
placements team, has to fill out forms and show employers liability
insurance.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--