[Wolves] ?????Netiquette????

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Tue Nov 3 12:21:36 UTC 2015

On 03/11/15 11:05, John Alexander wrote:
> To be honest I don't think Ron's email was predominantly about netiquette.
> It was unfortunate to have this as the first comment in the email.
>
> Imagine you have a group where Ron knocks out an email about turning up
> and having a nice social once a fortnight, not much goes on otherwise.
> Now it's got to a point that most can't even be bothered to turn up to
> have a drink (be glad breathing is indeed automatic!! :) )).
>
> There is little or no traffic other than this, just think of all that
> interesting stuff that's going on but no one comments on.
> However the moment "Netiquette" was mentioned we get a vast trail of
> opinion.
>
> Personally I'm not terribly worried about "netiquette" I'm more worried
> about content and communication amongst members which is sadly lacking.
> After all with no content "netiquette" is no more than unicorn droppings!!

What a complete and utter mess you lot have created! If you don't understand the basics of a mailing list then those of us who've been on this list for 15 years or more have been wasting our time.

Ron was reminding everyone of the principles of all mailing lists, try to adhere to them! Sadly new kids on the block tend to try and buck the status quo wherever you go.

If you want to *Top Post* go and use Windows because that is the default behavior with Outlook. People talk after one another so it goes without saying that your reply should be *after* what someone written not before.

Try and *Cut* peoples long winded, fact laden, Wikipedia cut-n-paste monologue. We'll have already read the original I really don't need to see it fifty times more in reply messages.

It took me a while, and I had to resort to searching the archive, to find the email that set off this ego trip, why was it difficult? because cretins thread hijacked. DON'T DO IT! create a new thread if you need to vent your spleen and try to stay on topic for the love of Jove.

There is a very simple, historical, reason why we do not post in HTML and that is viruses. Plus nobody wants your personalised email template crap in their mail reader or phone thanks.

People lead busy lives, we can't all get to meetings but that does not make you any less a member of this LUG, by the same token attending meetings does not give you any extra brownie points either. The only one entitled to give or take away your toys is Ron (Who I believe is LUG Master?) but even if he isn't, I for one respect Ron enough for all he has done for this LUG and graciously accept any request Ron deems fit to make.