[Wolves] Notes on the mailing list and the meeting list

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Thu Oct 29 10:14:51 UTC 2015

Posting to the mailing list
(from http://www.wolveslug.org.uk/mailinglist)

1/ Please don't post to the list in HTML. Sometimes people use console
mail readers and HTML emails can be unreadable. It will also
unnecessarily increase the size of the message.
2/ Don't top post.
A: Because it destroys the flow.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
3/ Trim your replies. Cut unnecessary quoted text in any replies.
HOWEVER, it is important to correctly attribute any such quoted text
to the original author. Please remember to trim any mailing list
additions to the messages.
4/ There is a maximum limit of 40KB for the size of a message. If you
need to post something larger than this (or your post gets rejected
for being too large), please put the content on a web page and post a
link to it.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

The meeting list:
I generally post this to the list on the Monday before the meeting.
The post will include the date, start time, expected end time and
location (usually including a link to a marker on OpenStreetMap).  I
also update the website (http://wolveslug.org.uk) at the same time.

There are three (3) sections:

Goes:
Add your name to this section if it is your intention to to come to
the meeting.  If you later discover you can or may not be able to
attend the meeting, move your name to the relevant section.

Late/Maybe:
Add your name here if you are not sure if you will be unable to attend
or you will be substantially late to the meeting.

NoGoes:
Add your name to this section if you have previously indicated that
you would attend but are now unable to do so.  You do not need to add
your name if you do not intend to attend the meeting.

Surely 3 days notice is enough for you to decide if you intent to come
along or not.  Dithering or waiting to see if anyone else will attend
before you add your name to the list serves no purpose.

I cancelled the meeting this week because (based on the list) there
was a reasonable chance that I would be the only one there.

A note on the venue:
I have moved over to Wednesfield as the pub is generally quieter
allowing for much easier conversations.  Parking is also much easier
(and free).  Past experience has shown that parking in the centre of
Wolverhampton becomes almost impossible in the run up to Christmas.

If anyone is unhappy about my choice(s) please let me know, either by
open discussion on the mailing list or by direct email (I am pretty
thick skinned).

- --
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk
Call Sign: M0RNW / Linux Counter No. 202120