[Wolves] ubuntu on windows

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sat Apr 2 15:29:14 UTC 2016

On 2 April 2016 at 11:45, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint <
mark.croft.lug at gmail.com> wrote:

> yeah i would like to know a bit more about how the two os live side by
> side? in the article it described like the reverse of wine is that
> true? (all API calls go via the window system) ?

The second part of this is true.  Windows NT used to have multiple sets of
syscalls back in the day.  The OS/2 one from when IBM was involved, the
windows one (which is the one that continued to get developed) and a POSIX
one so they could get NT 3 onto the massive US aircraft carriers they
almost missed out on by not being full POSIX.  This uses that system at
it's lowest level with a more wine like layer in the mid level so Linux
binaries run natively.

It says you can't launch Windows apps from Bash (you can from the MingW
version that ships with git but I generally use VI rather than spawning a
notepad instance but you use bash and the other tools from anywhere on the
filesystem.   I use the Git Bash window in sub directories of my Project
Folder that lives in my windows Documents folder at the moment and this can
be used in exactly the same way.

> what is M$ vision for this? will there be OSX vesion soon maybe?

I doubt that because the useful OSX stuff people would want runs in the GUI
and not the command line.  It's possible but it wouldn't useful for
anything like the same number of people.

sparkes