[Wolves] OT end of life of windows?

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 14:38:16 UTC 2016

On 04/11/16 19:30, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint via Wolves wrote:
> i had interesting one today with a satnav that is running a verion
> windows CE. The sd is nuked so i was trying to work out how to
> reinstall the satnav software which turned out to be windows ce based.
> So the challange is how to install window CE on the  wwsdcard etc
> seems like it going to a serious problem soon with devices that use
> WIndows CE cos there no more support life soon.
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/product-lifecycles.aspx
>
> I am waiting for the experts on the satnav forum to get back to me
> with an answer how to fix the satnav which i am guessing will not be
> easy and time consuming reading threads about other ones in the small
> model line and prob best to get another second hand satnav really cos
> they so cheap now. disapposally tech.

Hi Mark

I doubt this will be as simple as just installing Windows CE on to an SD
card. More likely, it requires the manufacturer's firmware written to
the SD card, which includes the necessary version of Windows CE as part
of the firmware image. The manufacturers website is probably the place
to look.

Adam