[Wolves] Bandwidth metering.

Simon Burke simon at samandsimon.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 12:57:00 UTC 2018

Hi guys,

Not strictly a Linux question, but thought I'd post in case anyone has a
suggestion. Plus the list has been a little quiet of late.

At work we're increasing the bandwidth by 500%. And our current model for
rationing bandwidth is unlimited traffic at a specified speed, which is
done via QoS through our pfsense firewall.

However I'm looking to suggest replacing this model with limiting everyone
to a reasonable speed and then metering transfer.

I can crudely do this as I already record transfer and keep it in RRD files
(we use librenms for monitoring etc). So I could potentially script actions
to occur when thresholds are met.

But is anyone aware of a better solution for doing this?

We use Mikrotik switches which I may move the QoS onto instead of the
pfsense box, as pfsync and limters don't appear to work well together (
https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/4310).

Cheers,
Simon.