[Wolves] Distros and Desktops

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:06:39 UTC 2018

On 18/10/2018 17:07, Claire Robinson via Wolves wrote:
> On 17/10/18 18:17, Adam Sweet via Wolves wrote:
>> This led me to wonder what distros and desktops you lot are using these
>> days and which others you're interested in.
>
> Check in on Mageia while you're hopping. The spiritual home of ex
> Mandrake/Mandriva users and community based. A wide choice of desktops
> and managers to choose from and a focus on stability.

I wondered if you'd pop up and mention Mageia. I should take a look,
it's been so long. Mandrake 7.1 was my first ever Linux installation and
I loved the 8.x releases though I had no idea what I was doing back
then. I started to fall out of love during 9.x.

I remember doing a distro review on LugRadio where we all installed a
different distro to our usual preference on the same hardware. I got
Mandriva and mistakenly downloaded the Free edition, I thought it meant
the non-paid for edition but it was actually the one without any
proprietary drivers or firmware for Freedom lovers. Consequently, I had
various problems and it was a poor review.

A guy who worked for Mandriva called Adam Williamson, thtat we'd spoken
to previously on the show mailed in almost immediately along the lines
of "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!". Always felt bad that Mandriva, having
been up against the wall on and off for some time, could have done with
a decent review and I'd screwed it up for them by misunderstanding the
naming of their Free ISO. Pah. Perhaps I owe Mageia a chance...

Ad