[Wolves] LUG State of the Nation Address

John Alexander acontractornow at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 24 14:47:44 UTC 2019

 Lets be honest Linux is just the Kernel and most people if given one would be scared.What most people see"as Linux" is the Distro' and that really is a FOSS thing anyway. If you are doing anything non trivial with the Distro then you could very rapidly be called a Maker!
To my mind I would keep the topics wide open but keep the name and LUG association.Maker Spaces are already a bit out of fashion especially when they find out that they don't get all these toys for free.Dev-Ops is story easily told from a Linux perspective!

    On Monday, 24 June 2019, 12:05:50 BST, Adam Sweet via Wolves <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

 On 22/06/2019 12:09, Peter Oliver via Wolves wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2019, 15:47 Adam Sweet via Wolves, <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Other things are the new cool niche, Linux is passé.
>
> Should we be branding ourselves as a DevOps meetup or whatever?

I've been thinking about the idea of rebranding and I do like the idea
of a WolvesFOSS (which is perhaps still a little narrow) or Wolves Open
Tech group but I'm reluctant to change our domain name, re-write our
website content or move away from the lug.org.uk mailing list.

Maybe only the website content would need to change and for me that's
mostly a time issue but it's possible I'm sentimental about the idea of
being Linux user group.

I do understand that as a group we and the kind of members we'd like to
attract share a far wider base of common interests than just Linux and
it is likely that the Linux user group brand is limiting our appeal.

So, perhaps an evolution over time? I think I'll percolate on this in
the short term while I concentrate on the other things I wanted to do
and we can come back to this later.

In the mean time, is anyone fundamentally against the idea of widening
the remit to an open technology group rather than specifically being a
Linux user group? Largely it's just a marketing change and won't make
any real difference to the way we do things, but it does mean we may
have an increasing number of members that are not interested in Linux
and that might dilute the level of interest our existing members have.

Ad