[Wolves] CentOS

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Wed Dec 9 15:34:29 UTC 2020

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 12:52:32PM +0000, Adam Sweet via Wolves wrote:
> A key thing I noted from the Birmingham list is that as recently as 1st
> Dec, the CentOS website said CentOS 8 (released in Sept 2019) was
> supported until 31 May 2029, but now that date is 31 December 2021 when
> it becomes a rolling release sitting 'just ahead' of RHEL development.
> That means people have been installing version 8 for over a year
> believing they will get 10 years of security patches and the rug has
> been pulled out from under them.

Yeah, I feel very sorry for people who have worked hard to install
or upgrade huge server estates to CentOS 8 only to now know they
will be doing it again in less than a year. For some that in itself
was a year's work.

I've seen multiple comments in the last 24 hours along the lines of,
"worked so hard to convince my employer that CentOS was a stable
platform, installed it on hundreds/thousands of servers, now fear
for my job."

There is more to a vendor relationship than contract law.

Cheers,
Andy

> The optimum programming team size is 1.
Has Jurassic Park taught us nothing?     — pfilandr