[Wolves] IBM OS/2 in Virtualbox

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:32:18 UTC 2020

In the vein of my recent BeOS post, I came across something similar on
getting IBM's OS/2 running in Virtualbox:

http://gekk.info/articles/os2.html

The author has put together fully patched and working OS/2 images for
each major OS/2 release.

OS/2 was first released in '87 as the result of an IBM and Microsoft
partnership intended to replace PC DOS and added a GUI in v1.1:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2

The relationship between IBM and Microsoft collapsed in '92 with the
success of Windows 3.1 and IBM carried on development alone. It was
commonly used in banking to run ATMs but was all but never gained
widespread adoptions given the success of Windows and was all but over
by '96 following the release of Warp 4.

Interesting bit of computing history and worth a look since even the
largest Virtualbox image is 153 MB. There are some links and discussion
on finding software at the bottom of the article.

Ad